Newfoundland & Labrador Association of Family Resource Programs
For over 20 years Family Resource Programs (NLFRPs) in Newfoundland and Labrador have been bringing families together to provide new learning opportunities for children and promoting community support for the well-being of all families. Many of the programs offered by the Family Resource Programs are free of charge and are grounded in strength-based approaches which support the health and well-being of families and communities.
Today parents, caregivers, and their children birth - 12 years attend over 32 FRPs in the province. Family Resource program sites are:
- A welcoming and safe place for all families within their community.
- A place where families can interact with one another. Family Resource Programs are unique from other early childhood development programs in that parent and child attend together.
- A place to learn about your community.
- A place where families share the joys and challenges of raising children and other life experiences.
Although activities and services may vary depending on the needs, circumstances and diversity of the families in the communities they serve, Family Resource Programs exhibit certain commonalities. They provide:
1. Family Support
2. Early childhood learning opportunities
3. Parent Education
4. Community Information & referrals
Types of programs offered by association members
There are a variety of family resource programs offered by each organization. Here are some examples:
- Drop-in Playgroups
- Toy-lending Libraries
- Active Playgroup
- Parent-Child Mother Goose Programs
- Interactive Parenting Programs (Cooking with Kids; Music and Movement)
- Summer Park Programs
- Parenting Groups (Nobody's Perfect; How to Talk so Kids will Listen; Right from the Start; Early Learning Canada)
- Pre-natal Programs (Healthy Baby Club)
- Post-natal Support (Breastfeeding Support, Exercise Support)
- Infant Support Groups (Post-natal Support Groups; Home-visiting; Baby-time Groups)
- Referrals to Community Resources (Child-care Resources)